Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday 20th July







The morning dawned, fine and warm as usual.

After a quick breakfast, Prue set off in the Mazda for a walk in the Katherine Gorge surrounds while I set off on my bike for a ride out to the Katherine Gorge.

Prue again took some lovely photos on her walk and was out for about 2 hours. She climbed up to the top of the high points overlooking the Gorge to capture the scenes. Meanwhile, I cycled out and at the Gorge car park, I came across the Wottons with their tour group about to either go on a canoe trip, boat cruise or as happened to Cher, miss the whole lot while having a coffee in the information centre!

My return trip was 52 kms and I will admit I did not need any more to ride as it was already up to the 30 degree mark by about 0900. Plenty of water needed on rides like this and I used 2 litres.

After a bit of a rest and shower for both of us, after Prue set the washing going, we went into Katherine to get a few items and hoped to get a nice coffee. Sadly, the Cinema Cafe was closed due to the owners going to the Rodeo following the Katherine Show which finished today.

We then went to do some grocery shopping at Woolworths, who have a monopoly in Katherine. We had to stand and wait for a long time to get through the checkout. Prue mentioned that is was worse than in Ballina on a bad day. The usual procedure is that not all checkouts were working, even when the line was more than 10 deep and the express lane about 50/60 deep.

Back to the Caravan Park for lunch and a bit of a rest before I did a massage. It seemed the potential massage customers had all gone to the Katherine Rodeo. So basically a quiet afternoon for our last day in Katherine before we start our westward trip.

1 comment: