Friday, July 11, 2008

Thursday 10th July

Today was a bit of a rest day or at least a change from the past few weeks.

My day started with a ride out to Lee Point which is about 18 kms from where we are staying at Prue’s brother’s place. Apart from getting across McMillan Road, which is a major arterial road, it was then onto a service road and, shortly after, on a quite wide and good surfaced bike path.

I reached Lee Point, noticing another Kimberley Karavan parked in a Caravan Park on the way. It is a scenic location but the beach is nothing like we have at home. There are notices around all entry points advising of the dangers of the Box Jelly fish, which is deadly at certain times. This time of the year is supposedly safe but I will not be testing the water. Ever since we entered the Northern Territory, we have seen signs warning us of dangers in the water from either crocodiles or Box Jelly fish. Water, water everywhere and nowhere to swim!

After looking at the area around Lee Point, I then explored around the various streets and eventually found Charles Darwin University but I skirted around the edge of it and eventually turned around near Nightcliff. I retraced my track slightly and then turned to find the Casuarina Shopping Centre. Riding on past, I worked my way back to our current location.

Later in the morning, I dropped Prue at the Chiropractor to have a session. My track took me to Bunnings to get a few small bits and pieces we needed either for the Karavan or the Mazda. Then I returned and met Prue in the Casuarina Shopping Centre, which is huge. It seemed that everyone from Darwin was in there as it was packed with people which made checkouts seem a long time in coming. The usual problem, checkouts not working when there is a big crowd.

The afternoon was quite hot but really restful. It allowed me to do some jobs around our Mazda and Karavan. Prue took it quite easily.

In the evening we went down to Mindil Sunset Markets. Some many and varied food stalls along with the usual market items, beads, clothing (I would not to be seen in), aboriginal and other art, etc. The crowd from the Shopping Centre must have collected all their families and gone to these markets! It was so crowded and I will not be easily enticed to go back. However, the sunset was really nice to see as it occurred over water. There will be even more and different sunsets over the next weeks as we travel into new areas.

No comments: