Thursday, September 11, 2008

11th September 2008

No photos today.

I was able to pack up early again as I had not put up the awning.

My departure from Banka Banka Caravan Park was at 0730 after chatting for a short time with my fellow travellers. My first stop was in Tennant Creek.

Tennant Creek is about 100 kms south of Banka Banka so it was quite an easy run in. My main purpose was to refuel and the price was the best I have seen recently at 188.5 cents/litre. At the Three Ways Roadhouse, just 20 kms north, they were charging 208.5 cents/litre. A rip off to put it bluntly.

After refuelling, I did go to the Three Ways Roadhouse as a good cappuccino can be obtained there. So I had 2 and raison toast. Chatted to a few other fellow travellers.

Eventually, I left for the Barkly Homestead Roadhouse. We stayed here on our way over to the west. I had one break on the way as it was just over 200 kms to the Roadhouse.

My arrival of the Barkly Homestead was about 1230 and so I booked into the Caravan Park. I was the first to arrive for the day but I was told there were about 20 last night.

I had some lunch and then did some reading, when I was not snoozing. It was about 37 degrees outside the Karavan so the air conditioner was working quite hard. So it makes it very pleasant inside.

Then a chat to a few around the Park which now had about 20 caravans in it again. We talked about where we had been and seen.

Dinner was lamb roast and vegetables in the Roadhouse Tavern. As I finished my dinner, I thought I recognised a lady. When she and her husband walked towards me I asked if she was from Ballina and the answer was yes and she said that I was very familiar, too. It was Cheryl that used to manage Shaw’s Office Supplies in Ballina. I used to get most of my stationery needs from her for work. They are now working in Darwin and are just going back to get a new caravan from somewhere on the Sunshine Coast.

So we caught up on what they had been doing and also what I had been doing since I last saw her. They are like so many people that go to Darwin and find good work and stay there.

So another catch up with people day. An early night and ready for more driving tomorrow.

It will be several days before I post another entry.


No comments: