Sunday, September 21, 2008

21st September 2008

This morning I was finally feeling quite fit, even after an evening with the Sanchez family!

I rode out to Fairburn Dam which holds back Lake Maraboon which is about 25 kms from where we are located in Emerald. The ride was in the early morning and the conditions were really conducive to cycling.

The view over the Lake Maraboon was so lovely but the water is very brown. I understand that this is normal. The level of the lake is about one metre below the spill way. It seems only a few months ago that the water was metres over the spill way. Anyway it is a large lake but a lot smaller than the last lake we saw, Lake Argyle in Western Australia.

As I rode out, I passed a replanted orange orchard. It had to be removed due to a serious disease that threatened the industry across the country. Also, I passed by an agricultural spraying contractor airfield that was quite active with an Airtractor 802.

The road out not only passed the orchard and airfield but a variety of residences and small farms before I reached the dam wall of Fairburn Dam.

About 2 hours after I left the Karavan, I returned to find Prue had been busy doing the washing of the sheets and clothes. She then made a nice cappuccino before I had a shower.

Mid morning, we went and visited the Botanic Gardens in Emerald. They were deep under water earlier in the year but there was almost no sign of that left. We also had a drive around the town to see what it all looked like. Then back to the Karavan for lunch.

The day was quite warm and we had the air conditioner on to lower the temperature a little. During the mid afternoon, the Sanchez family arrived to check out the Karavan. After a while, Prue, Louise and Madeline went for a swim in the town pool which is adjacent to the Caravan Park. José and I remained at the Karavan chatting for a while before we wandered over to the pool, too. Later, we all returned to the Karavan where we had a few drinks before the Sanchez family said goodbye and returned home.

So ended our last full day in Emerald.

No comments: