Sunday, September 21, 2008

19th September 2008

I had a somewhat slower start today. Some delay was caused by the evening before but it was fun. Seriously, I had breakfast with Kelly and some of his tenants. Those were the mining people mainly the young multinational geologists and their team members.
Kelly and I had a nice long chat after the tenants had gone to work. He is a very industrious person with his enterprises. We enlarged more on what our families have been up to.
About 0930, I said my goodbyes to not only Kelly and Alpha but also the Israeli backpackers, Tayla and Noah, who are currently working for him.
My destination for the day was Emerald which is a growing town, very noticeable since our last visit in late 1995 for Andrew’s graduation from the Emerald Agricultural College.
My drive, of about 180 kms, took me through a variety of landscape types, from heavy Brigalow and other timber country to open downs type country then into the irrigation area that surrounds Emerald. Again there was a good road to travel on and not a lot of traffic to contend with. Most of the traffic was camper trailers travelling in the direction of Longreach. I have no idea of their destination.
When I arrived in Emerald I had good knowledge of the Emerald Cabin and Caravan Park location. It was well sign posted making it very easy to find. I booked in then proceeded to the site which has a concrete pad on which to erect the awning. No red Kimberley dust to contend with and infiltrate into the Karavan.
Once on site and level, I then unhitched the Bravo. Now was the time to give the Karavan a really good wash. It has had little spray off of dirt but not a good wash. It now looks almost new again.
Then I erected the awning and raised the Karavan. What a difference it is to look at! Then a bit of tidying up in the Karavan.
Later, I did a bit of a reconnaissance of the town. I found the Motel we stayed in back in 1995 for Andrew’s graduation. Then it was out to the Emerald Airport to await the arrival of Prue from Melbourne via Brisbane. The airport is a very busy place and hard to park due to the fly in/fly out mine personnel and their cars.
A few minutes late, the QantasLink Dash 8 arrived with Prue on board. We collected her luggage and returned to the Karavan where she unloaded her luggage.
Dinner was quite simple and only a BBQ and vegetables and red wine, of course!

No comments: