Wednesday, September 17, 2008

17th September 2008

This morning I was around and ready to go a little earlier. I packed up the Karavan watched by my new friends, Charlie and Jenny. They, like so many, are intrigued by the process of preparing the Karavan for travel. They have a non off road caravan and know it has major limitations on where they can go. They were impressed by the whole concept.I moved off at 0730 boud for my first stop which would be Winton some 165 kms away.

Just out of the Kynuna village there were some cattle that had escaped to get to good grass growing on the road verge following rain. Luckily, there was little traffic on the road. Not far along were the first of many dead kangaroos and wallabies that had been hit most probably by road trains during the night. It is quite dangerous and crazy to drive on these roads especially during the night time as well as an hour or two either side of the night.

I arrived in Winton and parked opposite the Waltzing Matilda Centre I knew that I could get a good cappucino here. So I had my fist rest break at this centre.

After a nice break, I then set off for Longreach which is about 180 kms away. One good thing is that the road is good. While on this leg of my journey, I had another Kimberley Karavan catch up to me and soon pass me. I spoke for quite a while with Steve, from Woolongong, the owner. He has not had his very long and was keen to learn from what I had experienced. Eventually, he went out of UHF radio range.

Before too long I was coming into the sight of Longreach and then I booked in to the Gunadoo Caravan Park. Prue and I had stayed here on our way up. I set up quite quickly and then went into the Longreach CBD. I had lunch and coffee at a bakery.

Then I did the rounds of the motor vehicle dealer parts departments. I was looking fo a knob for the fan in the Bravo. It just fell apart as I left Kynuna earlier. Eventually, I found one at the Ford dealer where I also refuelled as I had not seen diesel at $1.67 per litre for a long time.

After refuelling, I returned to the Caravan Park and had several sessions in the spa which was no more than 50 metres from the Karavan. The usual chats occured at both the spa and around the Karavan. It is still an item that people look at and that alone starts conversations.

So dinner was a very quite affair tonight. I am still not up to red wine again but that may return soon.

No comments: